Can’t get enough of them.
You might think that as a writer and illustrator, after a day spent in the studio making them, I might want a bit of down time. But no.
Long books, short books, picture books… cookbooks even, I love ‘em! And though our house is amply stocked with bookshelves in every room- there are still stacks of the little rectangular darlings overflowing every-which-where!
And though the shelves in my boys’ room are well stocked in classics by the likes of Seuss and Twain, the boys and I still make regular trips to the library because addiction is a hereditary trait and I have passed along the book junkie gene. We know that out there are ever more fabulous books that have yet to find their way into our hearts and our ever growing collection. We start out cruising through the stacks and before we know it our arms are laden with as big a literary stash as we can hold and it’s time to check out… and get our fix.
As I write this, it is the dead of summer here in Arizona. It’s a time when the thermometer reads 110 degrees in the shade- and when we find ourselves longing (even more than we usually do) for a shady spot and a page turner.
So, my boys and I have compiled a list of some of our favorite library finds. Books that we loved so much we wore out our renewal limits and had to buy our own copies! We hope that you’ll venture out to your local library and enjoy them too. Because when you're a book junkie you don't need a 12 step program, you just need another 12 books...
Here (in no particular order) are the Idle Boy’s Top 12 Library Finds: Picture Book Category
- Lulu and the Brontosaurus by Judith Viorst, illustrated by Lane Smith
- In a Blue Room by Jim Averbeck, illustrated by Tricia Tusa
- Cowboy and Octopus by Jon Scieszka, illustrated by Lane Smith
- Chowder by Peter Brown
- Custard Surprise by Bernard Lodge, illustrated by Tim Bowers
- Boris and Bella by Carolyn Crimi, illustrated by Gris Grimly
- Huge Harold by Bill Peet
- Mrs. Biddlebox by Linda Smith, illustrated by Marla Frazee
- John, Paul, George and Ben by Lane Smith
- A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
- Pumpkin Day- Pumpkin Night by Anne Rockwell, illustrated by Megan Halsey
- Little Bear by Elsa Holmelund Minarik, illustrated by Maurice Sendak